I suppose ALL motivational speakers on the planet talk about what TO do in order to be successful in life, but it suddenly occurred to me that it might also be of value to talk about what NOT to do. Like what NOT to do if I had some habit that I wanted to change. A habit like…oh, I don’t know…eating sugar. How about that one. So instead of looking at what I SHOULD be doing to change this crappy behavior, let me look at what I am doing that is keeping me stuck. And if you are interested in changing some self-destructive habit, here are a few things that may be keeping you stuck. I’ll use the example of my sugar consumption:
1. Argue for your limitations. If you do, they are yours. “But I have an addiction to sugar! THAT’S why I can’t stop eating it!” Okay, good to know. It’s now yours for life.
2. Blame other people. LOVE this one! It absolves you of all responsibility! “I COULD stop sugar, but YOU keep bringing stuff into the house!” Oh…you poor little victim, you.
3. Rationalize and deny. Ever heard yourself say, “Well, it’s not THAT bad.” Uh, yes. It is. Your butt’s as big as a snow plow. Get a three-way mirror.
4. Don’t Think Ahead. Going to a party? Do NOT fill up on veggies and lean protein before you leave. Go really, really hungry so you’ll eat anything and everything that comes within a 10 foot radius of you as you walk in the door.
5. Focus on the problem. Do NOT think about a solution. Do NOT put a picture in your mind of how glorious you will feel when you’ve overcome the problem. ONLY think about how awful, difficult and miserable this is – and how hopeless, pitiful and weak you are. Wallow in it. Ooooooh. That feels good, right?
6. Wait to get started until tomorrow. Or Monday. Or on the 1st of January. Or when the moon is in Jupiter. And while you’re waiting, have another bowl of ice cream…
So this is the start of my list. I’m sure there’s more, but for right now, I’m going to focus on doing the OPPOSITE of everything on this list. And, in keeping with number 6, I’m going to my refrigerator right now and throwing out my ice cream.
I can do this…I can do this…I can do this…